6.21.2011

EGG-OP UPDATE 6/21/11

As of last night we are at 3,226 eggs.  That’s the salvageable ones.  I’m not keeping track of the cracked or throw-a-ways.

The good news – congrats!  We are below break-even point of Meijer organic eggs; priced at $3.36 a dozen.  Our cost right now is $3.33 and we still have two and half bags of food left from the last re-up.

The bad news – it’s time for another re-up.  $25 when you can get it to me please.  I’m back to work this week and am done with my vacations until the end of the summer, so the egg drops should become more regular again.  Patrick, you are exempt from this as you already paid us, and Holly/Amanda you are +$15 on this re-up so you only owe us $10.

On a side note; this would be the time to drop out of the Egg Co-Op if you want to.  I’d call it a success to this point, considering the rough start with the Great Chicken Theft of 2010.  If you want to drop, just let me know.  I don’t expect everyone to stay in it forever, so the drop goes from any point on.  If you wish to drop out just let me know and we’ll get someone else to take your share.


GRO-OP UPDATE

The garden looks good and the Potatoes and Onions are weed free – thanks Patrick and Holly!



















potatoes/onions before




















potatoes/onions after



We had a slight skunk/skunks issue with digging in the garden.  I replanted the Pepper plants it/they dug up, but the lettuce and carrots are pretty much MIA.  We’ll have to replant these along with the slicing Cukes, which only four plants came up.  Either it was bad seed or someone just drank too much of Ploeg’s home-brew, got the munchies and ate them.  I’m going with the bad seed option.

The cold crops are doing great (peas, broccoli, cabbage), the hot crops (tomatoes, peppers, zukes) are average.  They need some heat to start developing bigger, but I’d say we’re right on track for the season.  The Broccoli has started forming heads so I’d say that will be the first crop we’ll get; probably later next week.

Now that weeding has started - Emily will be sending reminders that it is your week to weed on Sunday nights.  Please reply back to her with the day that you plan to come to the farm.  This helps with planning for weeding and especially harvesting and also makes it easier on our family life so that we know when to expect visitors!  Thanks for your help in this.

Important Note!  When you get a chance, I need two bags from each share for the Harvest Runs.  The bags that work best are the heavy recycle type bags from the grocery stores.  Please label them with your name so I know who’s are who’s.

Later all.


No comments:

Post a Comment